curation: Vassilis Zidianakis
ATOPOS cvc inaugurates, #TextMe project, a year of actions and events around the book and text in media arts in the context of UNESCO’s ‘Athens 2018, World Book Capital’. #TextMe was an original concept by Atopos artistic director Vassilis Zidianakis who invited Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou to design and implement #TextMe_FluffyLibrary, an unusual library/ a participatory installation/ a collective fairy tale. Antigoni’s work merges imaginary and real worlds, childhood memories and adult life and is influenced by feminist and queer theories.
#TextMe_FluffyLibrary occupies the rooms of Atopos CVC, incorporating in the main artwork the rich book collection of the organisation, which consists of more than 2.500 art and visual culture books. The project combines the logic of a large-scale installation with impromptu performances, collective storytellings, plush sculptures and furry costumes. Fluffy Library is an age-and-genderfluid cuddly environment that creates an otherworldly reading and playing area for both young and old.
#TextMe_FluffyLibrary also operates as a workshop that will produce an unconventional fairy tale. Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou, in collaboration with other artists, scientists, story-tellers, educators and the general public, will create the story of ‘Fluffy’. Fluffy, also known amongst scientists as Flufiella Chimaerica, is a symbiotic creature that occupies and inhabits the entire top floor of Atopos CVC. What we know so far is that it eats books from the library and digests them into knowledge through its fuzzy cavities. Besides Fluffy, visitors will get to meet a series of monstrous, hybrid letters – D, for a dragon princess, P for a little masculine (pixie) fairy, M, for a hairy pink mermaid, H, for a horse with breasts and beard, and many more– that will be constructed during the course of the exhibition and will inhabit and reclaim their places inside books, stories and narratives. Fluffy and its co-habitants, will produce a fairy tale that will celebrate alternative narratives around identity, gender and human relations.
Fluffy Library is a meeting point of alternative narratives and actions around identity, gender and co-existence upon a huge hybridic, fluffy creature. All the events, that are happening inside Fluffy are co-curated and organized by Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou in collaboration with other individuals, artists, educators, friends etc.
- 12 October 2018 - Official Opening + Girlz Live Acts
- 21 November 2018 - Rhinestone Cowboi
- 25 November 2018 - PopTektonism // Vulnerable Monsters
- 02 December 2018 - The Real Athens Queer DIY
- 13 January 2019 - Drag For Kids
- 25 January 2019 - Deviant Monsters
- 14 February 2019 - Fluffy in love
#TextMe_Lab is the academic programme taking place parallel to the Fluffy Library activities. The Lab aspires to transform ATOPOS space into a research center with a series of lectures, discussions, workshops, performances and small exhibitions. All events focus on hybrid languages arising at the intersection of text and other artistic media. Programming themes include: 20th century visual poetry, spoken word performance, the relation between poetry and sound art, and contemporary linguistic phenomena, such as internet pop-culture and new media, and the relation between words and screens. #TextMe_Lab is curated and co-ordinated by Fil Ieropoulos
- 27-29 April 2018 - PokemonPoetry. (performance, workshops)
- 02-07 May 2018 - Aimée Le - Reading, Silence, Slogans. (open studio, various actions)
- 12 May 2018 - SPOONS IN HAIR, WINGS ON GLASSES, SOUNDS ON NOTEBOOKS - Tribute to Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven aka Baroness. (workshop,presentation)
- 18 May 2018 - Memes and online discourse in Greece. (panel, discussion)
- 02 June 2018 - Andriana Minou -"Dream-mine". (performance and Interactive Installation)
- 16-18 June 2018 - Film Poetry Festival & Symposium in collaboration with the Greek Film Archive. (screenings, discussions, workshop)
- 09-16 November - On clarity between velocity and duration. Crumbs that Chondros and Katsiani left behind to find their way. (presentation, exhibition, discussion)
- 01 December - Lena Platonos, queer readings / tribute (Greek National Opera Alternative Stage, SNFCC)
- 07-13 January - Roland Brauchli & Eleanor Vonne Brown / The book as a work of art, approaches. (open studio, various actions)
NEON | www.neon.org.gr
With the support of
Athens Culture Net | www.athens2018.gr
Founding donor Stavros Niarchos Foundation
As part of
Athens 2018 World Book Capital | www.athensculturenet.com